Friday, October 19, 2007

What Has Been and Never Was

An object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion unless...

That, more or less, was the practical expression of Newton's law of inertia as we learned it way back in high school. It speaks of the tendency of an object to keep doing what it has been doing, or not doing. Life has taught me this law applies to human (willful) actions as well. Our patterns of thinking and acting amass their own momentum, which is often difficult to overcome, and which continues at times at great cost to ourselves and others. Does the word stubbornness ring a bell?

Some church growth guru once said, "If we keep doing what we've always done, we'll keep on getting what we've always gotten." Church speakers are notorious for stealing other folks' lines, so I doubt he was the originator of the expression, although I don't know who may have been. Regardless, it's a great line, and it speaks to the need to embrace change.

When we know we are not moving in God's direction for our life, there's no time like the present to make a change. For how ever long we delay bringing an altering force to our momentum, we we risk wasting our most valuable commodity and doing harm to ourselves or to others. Do we really want to look back on the few days we are allotted and rue what has been and what never was?

9 comments:

  1. That is so true! For years I have always felt like I was behind the eight ball when it came to my spiritual growth. So, I would always say, "I am so far behind everyone else that I will never catch up!" I used that to give me an excuse not to even try to learn my word or grow in faith. But everyday that went by with that mindset was another day I could have been getting closer to the Lord!

    WE CAN’T WASTE ANY TIME!!! THE TIME IS NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.I.P.,
    Great to hear from you. I will keep an eye on that blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If we keep doing what we've always done, we'll keep on getting what we've always gotten."

    Great statement! I've used it to help my daughter see that patterns we form are many times self destructive. We do things and make the same choices because there's comfort in familiarity, it's the easy way, we're trying to please someone else, etc...

    The past is the road that has lead us to our present, but it's behind us, and it won't lead us into tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rita,
    Very well said. I'm jealous, wish I would have said it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we are not moving forward in God, we are going backwards. There is no standing still. To me, it is kind of like being in a briskly flowing river. If I am not steadily working my way upstream, I am being pushed back to the starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sista C,
    Nice simile. It leaves open the possibilty of exerting energy, but not efficiently (or maybe properly) and making no progress at all, just spinning our, er, paddle wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Pastor! I heard about your blog through someone, and thought I'd come and take a look around. It's always nice to meet a fellow A/G minister online.

    Trying hard not to sound like a salesman or spammer... I am the owner of the Assembly of God blog ring. I would personally like to invite you to join the ring. You can find that information at the top of my blog @ www.ahoosierfamily.com.

    Many blessings to you as you shine His light on the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome HF, to the Sound. I'll check out the webring. I had tried one earlier but never figured out how to use it!

    ReplyDelete

Any comment in ill taste or not germane to the post may be deleted without warning. I am under no obligation to give anyone an opportunity to call me names or impugn my motives or integrity. If you can't play nice, go somewhere else and play.